No Hockey? No Problem: Weekly Workout #3
Here are three mostly body-weight 15-minute workouts for you to work on overall strength, power, agility and speed. Do two of them back-to-back for 15 minutes each to get in a nice a 30-minute workout or one in the morning and one in the afternoon if you are up to it. If not do one per day and alternate each day. On other days you can mix in the interval running program we posted last week as well as our first weekly workout from a few weeks back.
Perform at least five rounds of each or go for 15 minutes with no rest in between if you can do more than five rounds in 15 minutes. As you progress, feel free to do more rounds. For the sprint workout, perform four reps of each back to back then move on to the next and continue for 15 minutes.
In addition, CLICK HERE for 20 great stickhandling drills you can do at home. If you don’t have a sufficient stickhandling mat to do these on, feel free to use a stickhandling ball or any ball that has a little weight to it so it feels like a real puck.
And don’t forget to warm up before you perform any workout regimen!
Examples of warm-up movements:
- 30 jumping jacks
- jogging in place or slow jogging
- high-knees walking/running with arm swing or arm pump
- walking lunges (backward and forward), core tight, back straight, twist before after each
- high-knees skipping with exaggerated arm swing
- long-stride bounding with exaggerated arm swing
- large arm circles
- small arm circles
- single-leg hip circles 10-12 each side
- zombie squat arms straight out, reach through legs and stand back up 10-12 reps
- mountain climbers
There are many more options. Feel free to do whatever gets your heart rate up, loosens most joints and muscle groups and gets a little bit of a sweat started. If you have a treadmill or stationary bike you can warm up using those as well, but make sure you get all body parts moving and warm before starting any workout. Your warm-up should last 5-6 minutes.
Today’s 15-minute workouts are brought to you by:
Top Tier Training – Jonathan Sucese
Check out his online Hockey Performance Program
15-minute Workout #1
Repeat without rest for 5 rounds or 15 minutes
15-Minute Workout #2
- 5 Broad Jumps with stick
- 10 Band Pull Aparts – if no bands, can be done with light or no weights using tight grip returning all the way to center or as an isometric with fists and muscles clenched
- 5 Single-leg Deadlift with tempo each side
- 5 Bird Dogs
- 5-10-5 Pro Agility – rest 30 seconds between
Repeat without rest for 5 rounds or 15 minute
15-Minute Sprint Workout – 15 yards each, 4 reps & move on to the next (no rest)
- ½ Kneeling Linear Sprint
- ½ Lateral Kneeling Linear Sprint
- Corssover-Crossback Sprint
- Shuffle-Shuffle Sprint